17 May 2012

Day 4 - How to sew a Turnback Cuff, sort of.

When it comes to this blouse I almost wish I'd used a pattern.

Don't get me wrong -- I like self-drafting. Taking a couple-dozen measurements and carefully drawing out lines that I'll reverse in a minute because, say, I forgot all about the waist darts?  I like doing all that, because I like being able to know what's going on inside the garment I'm making. Knowing how a piece of clothing will work, or why it'll hang in certain ways is interesting, almost ridiculously so.

(And somewhere in the dark recesses of my mind I probably resemble Calvin's dad, and am convinced that painstaking work, however unnecessary, is the key to building character.)

But what I don't like is to go through all that work and -- no, I'm not going to say "have the garment not fit", though that certainly is frustrating.

What I don't like is the possibility that I'm actually not doing it right at all. And since this blouse has bust and side darts, I'm especially worried that because I am, essentially, winging it, I'm going about my pattern-drafting in the completely wrong way.

After all, I'm sure this (yes, those are mini blouse-front pattern pieces, cut out of notebook paper) isn't how actual pattern drafters decide on how to draw the design:


I was trying to figure out how to add bust darts to a shirt pattern. I have no idea if I got it right, and the problem is that even if the shirt fits perfectly, I still won't know.

I have nothing against self-teaching; I admire it. But you can screw up badly when you self-teach, which is why I'm now looking for pattern-drafting books. I'm not sure how useful they'll be, but I think I should at least make the effort to try to learn from them.

In the meantime, here's the thankfully simple pattern for a turnback cuff:

Don't have access to my drawing tools right now;
I'll hopefully replace this with a nicer drawing later
UPDATE: As I recently posted, this isn't the "right" way to cut turnback cuffs. I have a new design up now, here: Turnback Cuffs: The Less Deceived.

You cut two of these (one -- the facing side -- can be in a brighter colour), sew them together, add in the buttonholes and buttons, and attach them to the shirt. That's all!

Well, as long as I figured it out properly.

No comments:

Post a Comment